Samsung tries bribery to hide exploding Note 7
Two employees from Samsung Electronics Inc. came to the house of a Chinese Galaxy Note 7 customer who filmed his device catching fire and offered him a new Note 7 and about $900 in compensation in exchange for keeping the video private, the New York Times reported on Tuesday.
Zhang Sitong refused such a proposal because the company reassured Chinese consumers that the phone was safe. "This is an issue of deception. They are cheating Chinese customers," he said to the paper. China appears to be particularly angered by the company. On Tuesday, China Central Television criticized the way Samsung tested its phones and the claim that the devices were safe and reliable. The tech giant initially said that the Chinese version of the gadget had a different battery and was safe.
Last week the handset was discontinued after a previous recall failed to rectify the problem. Shortly after, the device was banned from flights in the U.S. and other countries.