TELETRADER News
6/13, 8:17 PM (Source: TeleTrader)
more TeleTrader news

Pompeo: Iran responsible for Gulf of Oman tanker attacks

United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday that the US government assesses that Iran is responsible for the attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman earlier in the day.

Pompeo claimed this was just the latest in a series of provocations Iran has been carrying out in an effort to make the US end its "successful maximum pressure campaign" on the country and criticized Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif for calling today's incident suspicious. "Zarif may think this is funny, but no one else in the world does," the US top diplomat stated.

"These unprovoked attacks present a clear attack on international security," Pompeo said in a statement to the press. He added Washington condemns "Iran's assault" on freedom of navigation and its "targeting of innocent civilians" and noted the US will continue to defend "its forces and its interests" in the region.

Breaking the News / NP