TELETRADER News
5/25/2018, 4:35 AM (Source: TeleTrader)
more TeleTrader news

Pompeo: US has 'clear will' to continue dialogue with North Korea

United States remains fully committed to pursuing a dialogue with North Korea despite the cancellation of the anticipated summit on June 12, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told his South Korean counterpart Kang Kyung-wha in a phone call on Friday. Both diplomats agreed to work on bringing Pyongyang and Washington to the table, and seize the momentum created by the inter-Korean summit from the end of April, the Foreign Ministry in Seoul said in a release.

As the North stated that it is still willing to engage in direct talks with US despite the sudden cancellation, Kang and Pompeo appreciated the statement as a sign of determination by the isolated nation to pursue dialogue.

Earlier in the day, South Korean President Moon Jae-in expressed hope that the dialogue between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un would be possible. Later, Pyongyang's high level diplomat stated that summit between Kim and Trump is necessary and "urgent," so that "grave hostile relations" between the two countries can be resolved.

Breaking the News / NI